Copyright claim on battle music – should I be worried?

Home Forums Town Square Community Media Copyright claim on battle music – should I be worried?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Guy Wolfus 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Bardon
    Participant
    • Kickstarter Backer

Hey guys,

I just got a copyright claim on my video from 13:18 to 15:46.

The claim is for content Dungeon V6-24141 – Marco Valerio Antonini

I know that Marco is credited as the composer for the game so I’m sure the claim is genuine.

In terms of financial impact it’s zero for me as my channel is too small to actually receive payment from YouTube but this still worries me. I try to steer clear of games that have music that will be copyright claimed. Should I just play the game with no music when I record?

The wider implication of this is that the big youtube channels who do make a lot from adverts on there videos will we wary of playing a game where there is aggressive music copyright claims.

I was planning to make a video this week focusing on the new goblin skins and I think I’ll try to do it with no music to see what the game atmosphere is like without it.

For me it’s just going to be sad to play without the amazing music.

Guy Wolfus
    Keymaster
    • Developer

Thanks for letting us know, we’ll clarify the matter with Marco.
    Meanwhile I guess playing without music will be the best approach, we’ll let you know once this is resolved.

Looking forward to another video 🙂

Cheers!

Bardon
    Participant
    • Kickstarter Backer

Cheers Guy. No music it is then and the next video will probably be up on Friday or Saturday.

Shay Zeldis
    Keymaster
    • Developer

Hey Bardon!

So as expected this is nothing to worry about. The game’s music license includes using it for content creation and publicity. It’s an automatic thing where the track is recognized by Youtube as Marco’s creation and redirects ad revenue (when applicable) to him. We are going to resolve it but regardless of that, you shouldn’t worry and aren’t infringing in any legal way we’re aware of after looking into it. Regardless, in the short term if you’d like to monetize your videos, just turn off music for that part.

Keep up the great work 🙂

Bardon
    Participant
    • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks Shay,

I just uploaded my latest video and I had the music turned off. I’ll continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Guy Wolfus
    Keymaster
    • Developer

Hey Bardon!
    Good news, we made sure to remove the copyright claims on the music.
    Looking forward to your new video, this time with the music on 🙂 (and especially now when that the Backers Beta is open!)

Thanks for bringing it up in the first place.
    Cheers!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.