Ability: Camouflage

Home Forums Development Forums Ability Suggestions Ability: Camouflage

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Eran Yaacobi 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Bardon
    Participant
    • Kickstarter Backer

Ability Name:Camouflage

Ability Description: Ranger can use their knowledge and experience to blend into the background. The ranger has spent so long meditating and repeating the mantra be the tree/wall/post that for a brief time they appear to be exactly that. This allows them to hide in plain sight by taking on the appearance of an object for a short time.

Class (If applicable): Ranger

Cooldown (Optional): Long

Cast Target: Self

Can Affect: Self / Allies / Enemies

Effects (Optional): Enemies can not target the ranger while they are camouflaged. However environmental damage can still hit them. This lasts for one turn.

Damage caused?

Physics effects like being pushed?

Shay Zeldis
    Keymaster
    • Developer

I love your suggestions man 🙂

This ability relates to a broader question, that is, Stealth as a concept. On the one hand, it’s a staple of both RPGs and tactical games, on the other, most of those do not have built-in one shot killing environmental attacks. Having a long cooldown on it or forcing the stealthed hero to remain immobile is a good step in balancing out the potential OP value of stealth, and it will take some testing to figure out whether it balances out. Do you think anyone except the ranger needs a stealth skill in their tree? I remember some players wanted one for Savage to allow distance closing, but would like to know what you think re which classes should have any of it.

I really love the idea of turning into an object visually, will be funny as hell 🙂

Guy Wolfus
    Keymaster
    • Developer

I had to… Love this idea as well! 🙂

On top of what Shay said, do we want the caster to be able to always camouflage itself into an object? e.g. can the Ranger become a tree in the Dungeon?
    There’s humor in allowing that to happen, especially if we make the enemies address the odd object.
    Or maybe to keep it more grounded and maybe even more interesting in terms of gameplay – this ability will have a small radius (like 2 tiles) that objects must be in it in order for the Ranger to camouflage herself into the same object?

Thoughts?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Guy Wolfus.

Eran Yaacobi
    Keymaster
    • Developer

Would be funny if the ranger can turn visually into a pillar, then you can topple her on an enemy 🙂

Sounds like a good ability. I don’t think it’ll be OP, because the player can’t use the ranger for anything else during that. In my opinion the cool-down shouldn’t be long.

It can also create a nice combination with abilities that do not require direct line of sight (for example blinding light) – the ranger moves forward to reveal an hiding enemy, turns into a wall, then the paladin use blinding light on it.

Bardon
    Participant
    • Kickstarter Backer

I really like the Eran’s idea of the ranger becoming an interactable object. If the ranger did become a tree in the dungeon it should be one of those indoor trees complete with a giant pot.

Certainly it would be nice if there were more stealth options on the classes but they should be different. I think for the caster some form of invisibility would be more fitting to a magic user. But it would take so much concentration that moving would instantly break the spell.

Shay Zeldis
    Keymaster
    • Developer

Sounds good.

What about melees though? That’s the harder part. The Savage for example could theoretically have a ‘rogue’-ish branch to her skilltree, how would you balance out melee moving stealth?

Eran Yaacobi
    Keymaster
    • Developer

The ranger can now turn herself into a tree (will be in the next build), causing enemies to ignore her.

As discussed, the ranger is also interactable while a tree, as she serves as a full cover in that state for other units.
    As to toppling her over enemies – I think that would be too much. It is possible though to kick her while she is a tree, like normal units.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Eran Yaacobi.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.